A Brief History of the Former McCabe

McCabe Chapel Methodist Church was organized in 1896 by the late Rev. Taylor Moore at the home of Mr. John Patillo on Nelson Street. At the time of the organization seven members enrolled. The church was named for Rev. C. C. McCabe, a chaplain from Ohio in the infantry of the Union army, who was a famous singer. He was also credited with being the man who popularized “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.”
Since the membership was small and unable financially to pay rent, Mr. Patillo let the church meet in his home. Rev. Moore would preach once a month. He looked forward to the day when the little church would have its own building in which to worship.
The first McCabe ChapelWith the help of ten members, the public, the Board of Mission and Church Extension of the Methodist Church, Rev. Moore secured a piece of
property on Nelson Street at the corner of Carter Street. The carpentry work was done by the pastor, Mr. John Patillo and a Mr. Ryme. In the fall of 1897, the bishop sent a Rev. J. K Becks as the pastor of McCabe. The membership was still small
and was unable to support a pastor. Rev. Becks served this church without a salary for one year. A series of pastors served the church for varying terms of six months to a year.

In 19XX, Rev. George Belcher was appointed to McCabe. Under his leadership the Epworth League had its beginning; he was successful in getting the young people interested in the work and program of the church. The church began to grow spiritually, numerically and financially. After several brief pastorates, Rev. S. W. Johnson was assigned to McCabe. Rev. Johnson was a strong preacher and one of the most memorable revivals in the history of the church was conducted by him. Many souls were added
to the church during his stay.Belcher

In 19XX, Deaconess Simpson was appointed to McCabe. The church building was located in the street and the city ordered it to be moved. The church had no money to move, but Deaconess Simpson’s leadership and courage gave new hope and faith to the membership. In time the church was able to secure the funds to move the building out of the street.
McabeIn 19XX, Rev. W. M. Brisby became pastor. By then, the church had grown to be almost self-supporting. During his pastorate the church was rebuilt and the first parsonage was built

In 1948, Rev. J. P Belcher was then assigned to McCabe. During his tenure, the church was enlarged and painted. The church also hosted the meeting of the Annual Conference.
In 19XX, Rev. J. B. Carraway was assigned to McCabe. Under his leadership the first
money was raised for the construction of a lovely brick building. He moved on to another mission field before construction began. Rev. D. D. Dyer followed as pastor after Rev. Carraway. Under his leadership, the old church building was torn down and the new building begun. Rev. A. M. Mayes was appointed after Rev. D.D. Dyer and the construction of the new church building was completed. The church was furnished with new pews, pulpit, and altar furniture. Rev. Mayes served as pastor for three years.

A Brief History of the Former Wesley United Methodist Church

WesmisszWesley United Methodist Church of Longview had its beginning in 1935 as one of two Missions sponsored by the First Methodist Church. It had become apparent that there was a need for more Methodist Churches in Longview due to its growth. The church was one of two new mission churches; the other mission was located on Sixth Street and first named Sixth Street Methodist Church. (It later became Hardwicke Methodist; its records now reside with Trinity UMC on Gilmer Road)

On December 15, 1937 a church was organized with 72 charter Mission Chapel members. The Reverend W. H. Dickinson,Jr. was appointed as the first pastor.  The charter membership was extended through SketchzNovember 15, 1938, when the first service was held in the first permanent sanctuary, making a total of 122 charter members.  The first church building was located at 214 Myrle
Street.  After the construction of a nice sanctuary the original mission building was used as a Boy Scout house and later, in 1940, was converted into a parsonage.

Wesley continued to grow and so did the community.  The purchase of additional properties adjacent to the church made it possible for continued expansion over the years; these included an educational building, children’s building and a new and modern parsonage.
(The old parsonage was reconverted into a scout hut.)
First Sanctuary

A new sanctuary was completed in 1960 through the gifts, prayers and faith of the Wesley membership, and friends of the church.

WESLEY1C

In l988, the church celebrated its 50th anniversary with a membership that had risen from 122 charter members to over 600.  What started as a small mission church had become the third largest Methodist Church in the city.  In 1998, with Rev. Byron Boyett as pastor, negotiations were made with McCabe United Methodist Church to merge the two congregations using the Mobberly facilities as their primary location.  The merger was completed in 1999 to create the Wesley McCabe United Methodist Church.

The Present

Today the church is growing spiritually and moving towards a more unified ministry with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

We are a twenty-first century church with a passion for God and a warm heart for our neighbors. We are located in South Longview in the midst of a neighborhood that is a mission field for service. Among the family of Christ at Wesley McCabe, we are a multi-generation family. Our oldest member is 95 years old and our youngest is 3 years of age. We are racially and ethnically diverse, with Caucasian, African American, Hispanic, and Caribbean making up our family unit. God is doing a new thing with us and we are excited to continue the journey by faith. We are waiting on you!

Church Bigger

The Future

“… No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9 NIV “…But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 “Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.” 1 John 3: 2-3 We are one church of many United Methodist Churches within a connectional family seeking to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world to the glory of God.